Tuesday, July 17, 2018

The Deep Waters of Content Curation Tools

Last week I dove into the deep end of digital content curation.

I feel like this is an apt metaphor that works on multiple levels. As a kid growing up I was not a strong swimmer. When I had the chance to go to a pool I would stick to the shallow end where I knew I could touch the bottom without completely submerging my head. When I was feeling particularly brave, I would venture out to the part of the pool where the bottom started to pitch down, inching further and further until the very tips of my toes couldn’t touch without my head dunking below the surface of the water. I avoided going past this point. The deep end was intimidating and even a little scary. I knew there was a bottom, but I couldn’t see it and I certainly didn’t think I could touch it. There was just water and below that more water.

The last time I checked there were approximately a gazillion tools available to organize and curate digital content. No lie, that’s a lot, and it can kind of feel like the deep end of a swimming pool, a bit overwhelming and capable of inducing doubt in your abilities. With no visible end in sight, where does one begin? Here’s where the second part of that metaphor comes in. Sometimes the best way to overcome a challenge is to immerse yourself in it. I was never going to make it into the deep end of the pool with my current strategy. My slow, calculated approach allowed the fear of the unknown to win every time. I eventually built up enough courage to face this challenge head on and took a leap off the diving board and plunged into the deep end. When I resurfaced I came to the realization that the deep end wasn’t as bad as I thought.

So, what does any of this have to do with content curation? If you’ve been hanging out in the shallow end wondering if the curation gig is right for you, my advice would be to jump in and test the waters. There’s no wrong answer to the question of where to start. Pick one, or several tools and try them out. Many applications are completely free to use and those that do operate on a paid subscription typically offer free trial periods. Sign up for a free e-mail account (Gmail, AOL, Outlook, etc.) to use while registering for all these new applications.  This way, you can avoid cluttering up your actual inbox until you find the right tool.

I also recommend that you come up with a system for keeping track of all the usernames and passwords you will be generating while trying out these tools, even if it’s just simple paper and pencil. Today, most web browser have the ability to manage your website credentials for you, making it a breeze to log in to the tools you’ve found. If you are like me, coming up with a strong password can be a challenge. You can try a couple password generators here and here.

The most important thing to remember is that not every tool will be perfect. Focus on finding the tool that works best for you and meets your needs. With the amount of applications out there, you don’t have to settle for something that falls short. Finally, don’t be afraid to seek out help. While I certainly felt all alone as my feet left the safety of the diving board, in reality, there were lifeguards strategically positioned all around the pool, ready to jump in if I got in trouble. The same is true about these online tools. If you get stuck using a tool, try the help section of the application’s website. They typically have how-to guides on navigating their tool to get the most out of it.  They usually come with easy to follow pictures and now, many of them include video tutorials that you can follow along with. A quick web search will reveal a number of user generated guides and videos to help you out as well.

Digital curation is all about serving up the best content for your audience, whether they are friends, students, colleagues or customers.  New tools are regularly coming out to make this process easier and more fun for both the producer and the consumer.  Take them for a spin and try out their features.  Doesn't have what you're looking for?  No problem; move on to the next one until you find what will work for your needs.  So, what are you waiting for?  Jump in, the water’s fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment